Keep on top of all of today’s Manchester City transfer rumours and breaking news including updates on Kalidou Koulibaly.
Riyad Mahrez was back training at Manchester City on Tuesday ahead of their Premier League opening game at Wolves.
Mahrez was not involved with international fixtures but was forced to delay his return to the City Football Academy after testing positive for Covid-19 on his return from a summer holiday. After ten days of self-isolation the winger is back and will have almost a week to prove his fitness for the trip to Molineux
City are moving towards having a full squad and Pep Guardiola was back on Monday to see the new faces at the club for the first time, having been in quarantine for the past fortnight after returning from a vacation in Barcelona. Phil Foden is also back training with the group following his expulsion from the England camp last week.
Aymeric Laporte is expected back this week – he has also been self-isolating following a positive Covid-19 test – and Guardiola will have to weigh up the fitness of his French defender and the rest of his players following a disrupted summer break and ahead of a packed schedule beginning with five games in 13 days.
Follow for the latest City news throughout the day.09:49JOE BRAY
Thiago to Liverpool?
Multiple reports this morning say Liverpool have moved closer to signing Thiago Alcantara from Bayern Munich.
City were loosely linked with him earlier in the summer, but he always seemed bound for the Champions, who could make their first major signing of the summer.
The new boy is excited.
Carlos rules out Sevilla exit
Diego Carlos, reportedly a transfer target for City this summer as an alternative to Kalidou Koulibaly, has ruled out an exit from Sevilla this summer.
He told radio station Cope Sevilla:
“In football we do not know what can happen. It is a complicated situation. I am very happy in Sevilla, with everyone.
“I do not know what can happen at the end of the market. I have spoken with my agents, I do not want speculation. I am working with Sevilla. My goal is with Sevilla. I have a contract and here I am. I want to have a spectacular year.”
Youngsters in training
Cole Palmer and Tommy Doyle have been joining first team training this week.
Adarabioyo’s message amid transfer rumours
Tosin Adarabioyo has been linked with a City exit, with some of their Premier League rivals said to be considering a move for the youngster.
He posted this Tweet as the speculation continues around his future.
PSG ‘make Koulibaly offer’
PSG have reportedly made an offer to Napoli for Kalidou Koulibaly of €52m as City continue to be linked with the centre-back.
That is according to Tuttosport (via CalcioNapoli24), who say PSG have made the offer of £47m, plus a further £6m in bonuses, which is considerably less than City’s reported bids in the region of €70m.
The report adds that Napoli are hoping the offer will prompt City to return to the table, but they also claim City have bid for Jose Gimenez, so Koulibaly to PSG seems ‘destined for success’.
Sane backs KDB for Ballon d’Or
Leroy Sane says Kevin de Bruyne should have been in serious consideration for this year’s cancelled Ballon d’Or award.
City ‘considering’ Gimenez move
It seems all the talk of City’s supposed £82m bid for Jose Gimenez from Atletico Madrid came from one AS report, which was quickly countered by the likes of Marca and Mundo Deportivo.
Now, Sky Sports say if City haven’t made a bid for Gimenez, they are certainly considering it.
The talk from Spain is that Atletico won’t sell for below Gimenez’s £110m release clause, but the Sky report suggests City would have to pay in the region of £80m.
Why Angelino turned down Barcelona
Angelino has confirmed he rejected an approach from Barcelona to re-join RB Lepzig on loan for a second spell.
The City defender told SportBild (via the Mail):
“It’s great that one of the biggest clubs in the world wanted me. But in my head it was always clear: I want to stay with RB and not at another club – no matter who it was about. Leipzig suits me, the club’s high goals fascinate me. I’m just as hungry as the club.
“The coach is one of the main reasons for me. I was enthusiastic about his idea and the way he played from the start. We really have a great relationship with each other. He often told me that he wanted to keep me, that I was an important part of the team.
“As a player, it just makes you feel good when you are really needed. I felt that connection throughout the club from day one. But my team-mates also made it easy for me to get my best performance straight away.”
Leroy Sane answered questions from fans on Twitter last night and only had good words for City when asked about his time in Manchester.https://tpc.googlesyndication.com/safeframe/1-0-37/html/container.html07:19JOE BRAY
City ‘interested’ in Shakhtar winger
After the crushing news that City can’t be paired with Shakhtar Donetsk in this season’s Champions League group stage, maybe the Blues are looking at a winger from the Ukrainian side to make up for that disappointment.
That is according to Calciomercato anyway, who say City are one of the ‘big clubs’ interested in winger Manor Solomon.
Reporting Roma’s interest in Solomon for around €12m, the report says Shakhtar are holding out for a fee in the region of €25m because they know big clubs like City are interested.
Having signed Ferran Torres this summer, plus the need to bring in another defender growing more important by the day, this one seems unlikely.
Kalidou Koulibaly’s lawyer gives Man City transfer update
Kalidou Koulibaly’s lawyer believes that the player’s possible move to Manchester City could go down to the wire in this transfer window.
The Blues and Napoli appear to have hit a stalemate in a projected deal, with the Italian club’s owner Aurelio Di Laurentiis not budging from his £72million valuation, while City do not want to go above £50million for the 29-year-old defender.
Man City get Eric Garcia transfer update from Barcelona boss Ronald Koeman
Ronald Koeman has suggested that Barcelona will not be signing Eric Garcia in the summer transfer window.
Two Man City stars named on European Golden Boy shortlist
Two Manchester City stars have been nominated for the prestigious European Golden Boy award – including new signing Ferran Torres.
A shortlist of 40 names has been drawn up from the originally-announced longlist of 100 players, which was revealed in June.